Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thesis Game Concepts

I have two main ideas for games that I think would fit this thesis concept. In this post I will just be introducing them briefly with some concept art and in my next post I will be detailing my thoughts more on each of their strengths and weaknesses.

Game Concepts:

1) Stranded on an alien world (on an island to keep things simple)

2) Ruined Urban Survival/Scavenger

---

Concept 1



Concept 1 would focus on putting our player on a completely alien world. Themed in a Sci-fi feel the user would be part of a crew who had to abandon their ship over an uncharted planet. Crashing onto the world in their escape capsule, they would need to learn to survive on the island until help arrived.

This game would focus on more organic forms where the island the user is stuck on is randomly generated each time. Likewise all plants and fruits the player could gather would have different effect each play through. For the world I'm currently thinking of a red/maroon colored soil with purple grass and vegetation.



Below are some concepts of the escape pod design possibilities.


---

Concept 2



Concept 2 would focus around putting the player in the role of an survivor of some cataclysmic event in a major city. The city they once knew would now be a series of ruined buildings and disaster areas.

This concept would focus more around the procedural generation of buildings and ruined structures, ranging from one story homes to multistoried sky scrappers.

---

As stated above I'll be clarifying each idea in my next post and why I think both of them are viable candidates  What nice is that both are fundamentally the same: Look for food, water, and shelter. It's more of which concept will be more original and which fits the engine and concept most.

No comments:

Post a Comment